The Motorola XOOM which has already started shipping to all its customers who had pre-ordered is now open to the public market from Verizon with a 2 year contract for $599.99 as well as an LTE version for $799.99. This stunning tablet powered by the Android OS may prove to be a threat for the Apple iPad. Motorola is very strict when it comes to unlocking a bootloader, but that’s not the case this time.
All those proud owners of the XOOM tablet who wish to modify it now can happily do so by following this quick guide. Please make a note that by doing this can get your warranty voided.
Step 1 : Download the Motorola USB drivers and the Android SDK first.
- Download the USB drivers from here. (you will have to register on the website or else you can google it and find it for yourself as well.)
- Download the Android SDK from here.
Step 2 :
- Switch off your XOOM tablet.
Step 3 :
- Press and hold the volume down button while simultaneously pressing the power button.
- Keep it pressed down even when your XOOM turn on as this will display some starting fastboot protocol text on the top left section of the screen.
Step 4 :
- Now open a command window in your sdk\tools folder, not the platform tools. You may need to copy some DLL files, that depends on when you get the SDK.
Step 5 :
- Now type this : fastboot oem unlock
Step 6 :
- Please read the warning message on your screen, use volume up if you wish to do so.
That’s it, you now have a fully unlocked XOOM and can add in all sorts of applications now.