As you know, Apple recently released its latest iOS firmware, the iOS 4.0.2 that seeks to patch security exploits that were discovered with PDF and also reportedly renders JailbreakMe.com useless. However, as it is now known, jailbreaking the latest iOS 4.0.2 is possible with the existing version of Redsnow.
This is how you do it
- Download and update iOS 4.0.2 on your iPhone and also download RedSn0w (Mac | Windows) to your computer
- Launch Redsn0w 0.95b5-5. Select iOS 4 (Final Version) while prompted
- Click on ‘Install Cydia’ and when prompted, click ‘Next’
- Switch off your iPhone and plug it to the computer. Now click ‘Next’
- Take your iPhone to recovery mode by following the instructions. You basically have to hold the Power button down and in this mode, also press the Home button down for close to 10 seconds. You follow this by taking your hands off the Power button while keeping the Home button pressed. The phone enters recovery mode and installation begins.
- RedSn0w will now begin the jailbreak process. Once done, your iPhone will reboot and the process will be complete.
Of course, I am no techie and thanks to RedmondPie for the detailed instructions.