The much awaited iOS 4.3 is finally expected to be released by Apple this week. Let us have a glimpse at the whole lot of new features that have been introduced in this new version as well as the few changes that occurred in the successive beta releases of the operating system.
Below is the list of new features and changes that have been made in the iOS 4.3 :
1. A personal hotspot (For the iPhone Only) :
This feature allows users to share their iPhone 3G connection simultaneously with 5 mobile devices. This feature can be enabled through the settings app. Already available to the Verizon iPhone users , this feature will be made available to the GSM iPhone users as well.
2. Airplay :
You can wirelessly stream your digital media from the iPhone, iPad and the iPod touch to the Apple TV 2G or any other features having airplay enabled. Previously, this feature was made available to many pre-installed applications like Youtube and iPod/Video applications. However iOS 4.3 removes those restrictions by allowing other third party applications, Safari mobile browser and the pre-installed photo application.
3. Side Switch Toggle (For the iPad only.) :
The rotation lock was changed by Apple in the iOS 4.2 to mute switch like the iPhone, however iPad users will now be having an option to select the side switch located at the top right corner as a rotation lock switch or a mute button.
4. Notes to have a new font :
The iOS 4.2 had given users an option to select from only 2 fonts, that is Helvitica and Chalkboard instead of Marker Felt. The iOS 4.3 now replaces the Chalkboard font with the Noteworthy font.
5. Cancel/Delete installing of applications midway :
Users will now be able to cancel downloading applications and delete them midway as the earlier version of the OS only had the option to pause the downloads.
6. Customized alerts for messages (For the iPhone only) :
You can now set the number of times you wish to be alerted for a new sms or mms. The Repeat Alert option has been changed to Play Alert Tone with options for once, twice, 3 times, 5 times and 10 times.
7. A redesigned updates page for the app store :
A new design of the update page for the iPad, iPhone/iPod touch will make installing applications that are already purchased for users a much easier task.
8. A push notification for Ping :
Apple`s social network for music will allow users to setup push notifications thus helping them find out what their favourite artists or friends are up to.
9. Addition of a Wait button :
A new wait button has been added to the Add contact extended keyboard with some of the other buttons reshuffled. Tapping the wait button will add a semicolon to the number.
Here is a screenshot of the Add contact screen in the iOS 4.3
10. Parental controls for Ping :
The iOS 4.3 gives a new parental control for the music based social network of Apple.
11. Location Services Settings :
These settings have been moved to the top level in the settings app instead of moving it under General so as to make it more convenient.
12. Compatibility :
iOS 4.3 will be compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, 4th and 3rd Generation iPod Touch and the iPad. However it will not be available for the iPhone 3G and the iPod Touch 2nd Generation thus making the iOS 4.2.1 the last possible update for these devices.
Lets hope and see if Apple promises us with these features and changes in the final release of the iOS 4.3 along with some few additional feautres as well.
It’s now confirmed, the iPad 2 will be unveiled by Apple on Wednesday, which is the day after tomorrow. We have been discussing a lot about the hardware of the iPad 2, what new add-ons it would have etc. But would we be really happy if the iPad 2 were to come out with the expected add-ons and nothing more? Surely, not one tablet I would want to buy if Apple were to do that. But, there is every possibility that Apple would go for a price cut, at least by 100$ on the second generation Apple tablet.
If you are contemplating why, here’s the logic. When Apple first launched the iPad an year ago, it had no idea to what would be the success rate of the tablet. But, Jobs has that Midas Touch and the iPad was an unusual success with Apple selling almost 10 million tablets in 2010. Apple now plans to sell at least 60 million pieces in the next financial year for which to happen, a price slash is inevitable.
The Motorola XOOM which has already started shipping to all its customers who had pre-ordered is now open to the public market from Verizon with a 2 year contract for $599.99 as well as an LTE version for $799.99. This stunning tablet powered by the Android OS may prove to be a threat for the Apple iPad. Motorola is very strict when it comes to unlocking a bootloader, but that’s not the case this time.
All those proud owners of the XOOM tablet who wish to modify it now can happily do so by following this quick guide. Please make a note that by doing this can get your warranty voided.
Step 1 : Download the Motorola USB drivers and the Android SDK first.
- Download the USB drivers from here. (you will have to register on the website or else you can google it and find it for yourself as well.)
- Download the Android SDK from here.
Step 2 :
- Switch off your XOOM tablet.
Step 3 :
- Press and hold the volume down button while simultaneously pressing the power button.
- Keep it pressed down even when your XOOM turn on as this will display some starting fastboot protocol text on the top left section of the screen.
Step 4 :
- Now open a command window in your sdk\tools folder, not the platform tools. You may need to copy some DLL files, that depends on when you get the SDK.
Step 5 :
- Now type this : fastboot oem unlock
Step 6 :
- Please read the warning message on your screen, use volume up if you wish to do so.
That’s it, you now have a fully unlocked XOOM and can add in all sorts of applications now.
Sources have revealed that Apple would be launching the second generation of its coveted iPad along with the iOS 4.3 on March 2nd. But hang on a second, there is a twist to the tale here as the second generation tablet could after all be only a revived iPad which would be called iPad 1.5 rather than iPad 2. Sources have revealed that the reason for this is issues with production as Apple may not be able to deliver the required add-ons to the tablet yet (the camera to the front might actually be missing in this version).
So, Apple would only be going ahead with a standby version and as John Gruber predicted, we could actually see Apple launching the third generation iPad in September which could actually be the real iPad 2. So for now, let’s just play the guessing game until Wednesday.
The latest buzz is that Apple is planning to launch both the second generation iPad and the next version of iOS on March 2 which co-incidentally is a Wednesday. Knowing Apple’s Wednesday sentiment, this could well be true. Also, there have been reports that Steve Jobs‘ health is declining day by day, so Jobs himself would want to see a quicker launch of his babies on which he has worked personally as well. Also, one can expect iOS 4.3 to come out on the same day as Apple definitely would not want to launch the iPad 2 running on iOS 4.2.1.
The beta version of the iOS 4.3 was released on January 12, a week later the iOS 4.3 beta 2 was also released which was followed by the release of beta 3 on February 4 which dealt with a few bugs in the beta 2 version.
Fingers crossed fellas. Let’s hope that this time the rumor about the launch date is true.
Microsoft recently released their first ever update for the Windows Phone 7 which was small in size and was especially meant to make the device ready for a larger update that will be bringing in some added functionalities to the device such as the copy / paste feature, but this tiny little update seems to wreak havoc for the devices especially Samsung.
The update causes the phone to stop working thus bricking it completely and it is being reported that the phones facing the most number of problems are running Samsung manufactured hardware especially the Focus and the Omnia 7 devices. Well, whom to blame for this issue, Microsoft or Samsung is highly debatable but Microsoft has been quick enough to address this issue.
The company promises to deliver a fix for this issue within 3 days, but you surely aren’t going to like being stuck with a device that isn`t working even for a 3 day period, so what should one exactly do? A Neowin forum – goer Norseman has provided an effective solution to help getting things back on track for your device till Microsoft comes up with a fix.
Just follow this simple guide to get your device back into working condition :
- Connect your handset to a power source other than your computer.
- Now switch off your phone.
- Switch it on once again by holding the power, camera and volume up / down rocker and continue holding even when you are asked if you want to format the SD card.
- Now release all the 3 buttons once you see your device enter into “download mode”.
- Your phone will re-download the OS now.
- Wait for around 15 minutes for the phone to restart and if it has not then perform a force restart.
- Now setup your phone as if your doing it for the first time, perform a re-sync as well as a re-update.
Several users report this guide to be working perfectly, so please try this method at least once if your phone has stopped responding completely.
The jailbreaking season continues with yet another new tutorial this time for jailbreaking your iPad using the PwnageTool. Just follow these 12 step by step instructions precisely and you`ll get the job done.
Step 1 : Download these softwares first.
- The PwnageTool for the Mac can be found here.
- The iPad 4.2.1 firmware that can be downloaded from here.
- It is recommended to download the firmware using Firefox since Safari will often auto extract it.
Step 2 :
- Mount the PwnageTool by double clicking it and then drag it to your Pwnage folder.
- Once it is dragged into the folder, double click it to launch the application and click on OK if a warning window pops up.
Step 3 :
- Now select Expert Mode by clicking it from the top menu bar.
Step 4 :
- From the list of devices, select your iPad.
- A check-mark appears over the image indicating your selection.
- Now click on the blue arrow button to continue.
Step 5 :
- A new menu for selecting the IPSW comes. Click on the “Browse for IPSW….” button.
- Now select your firmware from the Pwnage folder and click on Open.
Step 6 :
- Select General from the multiple choice menu followed by clicking the blue arrow button.
- These general settings will allow you to decide the partition size.
- Next, is the Cydia settings menu which allows you to create custom packages so as to avoid the hassles of manual installation later.
- Click on the Download packages tab followed by the refresh button to display the list of available packages.
- Double clicking the packages you want will download them and add them to the Select packages tab.
- Put a check-mark on the packages you want and click on the blue arrow button.
- The Custom Packages Settings menu displays the listed package settings for your custom IPSW. Please leave these settings uninterrupted for now and proceed further by clicking the blue arrow button.
Step 7 :
- The Pwnage process is ready to start.
- Click to select the Build button followed by the blue arrow button to begin the procedure.
Step 8 :
- Save your custom .ipsw file to the Pwnage folder you created on your desktop.
- Your IPSW is now building so please allow up to 10 minutes to get complete.
- You are later on prompted to enter your administrator password, so do it and click on the OK button.
Step 9 :
- Now you will be asked to connect your iPad to the computer once the building procedure is complete.
- On detecting your device, the Pwnage tool will be guiding you through the rest of the procedure to put your iPad into DFU mode.
- Press and hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
- Next, release the power button but continue holding the Home button for another 10 seconds.
- On entering in DFU mode, the PwnageTool prompts you to launch the iTunes.
Step 10 :
- On launching iTunes, hold the Alt/Options key and click on Restore.
Step 11 :
- Now navigate to your Pwnage desktop folder from the dialog window and select the custom IPSW that was created followed by clicking the Choose button.
Step 12 :
- iTunes now restores the firmware on your iPad which might consume up to 10 minutes.
- Once this is done, you will be rebooted into the jailbroken iPad OS 4.2.1
Happy jailbreaking once again fellows…!!!
Sony is cracking a strong whip on hackers. Hackers will be banned for lifetime from entering Sony’s online networks. A note was posted on Sony’s official blog which reads-
“Violation of the system software license agreement for the PlayStation 3 System invalidates the consumer guarantee for that system.” Also, Sony has advised its PS3 users not to use pirated versions of the games as this would lead to a breach of copyright and can expel the users systems from entering into Sony’s online networks. Sony has also asked its users to immediately stop using any circumvented devices and softwares on their PS3 consoles.
Sony has not yet announced from which date this new policy would come into effect, but emails have been sent to PS3 users by Sony. One blogger has also mentioned that if one gets an “error 0x8002A227“, it means the PS3 console has been banned on the PSN.
Every known company has plunged into the tablet business and is trying to cash in on the new rage. If there was one giant who never spoke of doing a tablet, it was Sony. But, according to Engadget, Sony has a tablet in the making or it at least has plans for a tablet. Though a late entrant into the arena, Sony has the capability to attract everyone’s attention. Sony’s tablet has been codenamed S1 and like most other tablet will run on Honeycomb. The design of S1 is going to be a wrap style one allowing the users to prop their device at comfortable angles. The screen will measure 9.4″ and the will possess a resolution of 1280×800 pixels. The processor used would be the Nvidia Tegra 2 and the device will be either 3G based or Wi-Fi based.
The best part about the tablet is that it’s been certified by Playstation, so gamers are in for a treat.
Jailbreaking has become a sensation now a days right from the Play Station 3 to the Apple TV 2G and now the iPhone 3GS.
Here is one more jailbreaking tutorial for the iPhone 3Gs on the iOS 4.2.1. Please follow the below mentioned instructions in a step by step way to achieve jailbreaking success for your iPhone 3GS. The tool used in the entire procedure is the PwnageTool for the MAC system.
Step 1 :
- Make a folder by the name of Pwnage on your desktop.
- Download a copy of PwnageTool from this link. The file downloaded will be a torrent file, so make sure you have a torrent client such as utorrent or any other one installed on your system.
- Download the iPhone 4.2.1 firmware and save it to your Pwnage folder that you created. Continue reading »