The iPhone 5 is the subject to more internet rumours than 9/11 or the Kennedy Assassination. It seems if it can be dreamed up about the new Apple it has been. So what are the more likely rumours we have heard about the iPhone 5?
It will have an autumn release date
After all the rumours about summer releases, winter releases, 2012 releases – it seems the iPhone 5 will come about during the autumn/fall. Now this speculation that has seen guesses from a number of highly reputable sources like Bloomberg. They all suggest September to November release times which would also be the one we are going for.
The iPhone 5 will use the new Apple operating system – this is more than likely a given and probably the main reason for the later release date. The new iPhone will have all the new Apple abilities that the operating system, which was released last month, has introduced. This all comes together to form a new and more well rounded product, taking some of Android’s best abilities and combining them with Apple’s current ones as well as some new innovations to make an altogether fuller OS.
It may just be an iPhone 4S. It may be that the new iPhone 5 will not be an all new device, and just an update on the current one. This would bear a similar likeness to the leap from iPhone 3G to 3GS and in a way would make sense. This would mean no new body and not new major leaps in technology. Although with fairly reliable rumours of larger screens being ordered by Apple, perhaps it will not completely remain faithful to the design of the iPhone 4.
The new device is almost certainly going to be a dual core phone, keeping with the current trend of devices on the market. This would make the device even speedier and perhaps herald the call of super phone games that will utilise the devices near computer speed graphics. This dual core would be the same as the one in the current iPad 2 and this would certainly make a lot of sense.
It looks likely that the new device will have a larger camera. Rumours suggest that it may have an 8mp snapper for use and this would certainly make sense considering the current market trends towards dual core phones with large 8mp cameras. There are rumours of 3D although this may not be the case as it could be considered a bit gimmicky for Apple’s tastes.
Once upon a time there were two companies, the first company did something no one ever did well before and released a phone with a full QWERTY keyboard. It did very well and was the toast of the kingdom until a man from a company who made very attractive but sometimes flawed devices released a touch screen phone that allowed users fast internet connection and a huge selection of downloadable applications. In case you didn’t guess we’re talking about Apple’s iPhone and RIM’s BlackBerry.
So, with a new Bold 9900 released, how does it compare to its direct competitor for number one, the iPhone 4.
Processor wise the BlackBerry has got an upgrade and is now running a super powerful 1.2GHz snapdragon processor with 768MB of RAM. Compared to the iPhone which currently runs a 1GHz chip with 512MB, on paper the BlackBerry is the faster chip. Then you have to take into account that the iPhone is a year younger and you have to give it its dues.
The matter of tactility is different; then again it always was and will be. BlackBerry’s really about the QWERTY keyboard and though this one allows dual navigation with keyboard and screen, the buttons are the best bet and are possibly the best BlackBerry have ever made. The iPhone is a touch screen and an amazingly responsive one at that. As far as this is concerned, it really is a case of what you prefer – like a lot of things you seem to be born for one or the other.
The screens do differ in size and the iPhone’s 3.5in is better for what it is meant to do, that is being a multimedia player. Though the BlackBerry has a 3in screen it does have a certain charm. Though quality wise the iPhone 4 wins hands down, with its amazingly clear retina display.
Both devices have 5mp cameras, to be honest there is not much give or take between them and they could be considered equally good flashers.
As far as the operating system is concerned iOS offer an amazing experience and has really set the pace. However, BlackBerry OS 7 is a huge improvement on previous offerings and does put up a good fight but is staring into the face of the best.
Design wise both maintain their classic styles, with the iPhone 4 looking fantastic and the BlackBerry looking stylish in a different way, with its curved chassis and keyboard. It really is a case of personal preference. Some people swear by either brand, though if you want a multimedia experience the iPhone is better and perhaps the BlackBerry is better for professionals.
People who have an Android phone and are suffering from some serious battery issues, here are some simple manual as well as automatic tweaks that will help you keep your phone charged for a longer time and make the best possible use of your battery life.
There are end number of things that eat up your battery power and most of the times they are things that most mobile users are not aware of at all. This article contains all the possible solutions to safeguard your battery life, so i highly recommend that you go through each of these features, settings and customizations that are mentioned ahead in this article.
List of battery power consuming features :
Your phone contains end number of features and settings that consume your battery power without you even realizing it or you were maybe aware of certain features but didn’t realize they used battery power to a great extent.
To get an idea about this navigate to Settings > About > Phone > Battery >Battery Use, which will tell you the entire story.
Settings that are most likely draining your battery power :
The Screen :
Your screen consumes the most battery life especially if its the new Super Amoled or Super LCD display. To minimise the screens battery usage, turn down the brightness. Although your phone is on “Auto” brightness mode which works in most cases, but still might be using more battery than you expect.
You can go to Settings > Display > Brightness, uncheck the “Automatic Brightness” option and manually enter approximately 10%. It may become a little harder for you to see under direct sunlight, but this wont be the case elsewhere.
Another option is to put the power control widget on your home screen which will help you toggling between low and high brightness modes in a much convenient manner. To do so, press and hold an empty section on the screen, select Widgets and select the Power Control option.
Alternatively, you could also lower down the screen timeout from 1 minute to around 15 – 30 seconds by going to Settings > Display. This will aid you in saving battery life as well.
Cellular and Data Connection :
It doesnt matter whether your using a high end 4G phone or a regular 3G device, your cellular and battery connections will eat up your battery big time even if your phone is in a dormant state.
Your data connection can be turned on and off by making use of APNDroid 2.0 or by making use of these Quick Settings. If you just intend to talk, text and send mails then EDGE or 1x is more than required. Data can be turned back on when you are browsing and require extra speed.
When there are Wi-Fi networks in your surroundings, use them. It will automatically turn off your data connection and use Wi-Fi instead which will be a battery life saviour.
However, when you don’t have any Wi-Fi networks in your area, your battery will be drained by constantly making search for available networks to connect to, so its better to turn Wi-Fi off from your Power Control widget when your not in such locations.
Keeping bluetooth on when not required again consumes a lot of battery like Wi-Fi does, so just turn off bluetooth entirely when your not using any bluetooth headset or transferring any files to and fro from your computer. You can do this from the Power Control widget.
GPS again drains a lot of battery when your using it for Google maps or turn-by-turn navigation and if you make use of location services provided by Twitter, Facebook or other social applications then GPS will be used on a more regular basis. GPS controls can also be toggled through the Power Control widget.
Automation of these Settings :
All the above mentioned settings can be toggled through the Power Control widget as per the requirements but that would be too irritating and difficult at times.
Fortunately, all these settings can be automated through an application called the Tasker. With this application you can automate pretty much everything that you desire like GPS, Bluetooth and Data settings.
Use of Juice Defender to scale back data usage :
Juice Defender again automates all the work for you, although you can change some of its settings if you wish to do so. It manages your data connection in a very smart way by turning it off and reconnecting it after every 15 – 30 minutes to check if there are any new mails, Twitter notifications and other alerts to download.
Other Alternatives :
Tweak and Uninstall Data intensive applications :
If you have any applications that you are not making use of, then please uninstall them as there are many applications that try to connect to the internet without even you realizing it and so its best to remove them completely. Also get rid of widgets that grab data constantly like the Facebook widgets or the weather widgets to name a few or change their settings so that they update their data every half an hour or on an hourly basis.
Turn Off the Eye Candy :
Eye candy features like screen animations and live wallpapers can be pretty CPU intensive. If you look forward to save your battery then turning them off is a wise choice although you may loose the flashy and animated look but this solution is ideal if nothing works for you even after performing other tweaks.
Save the phone from getting heated up :
Extreme heat will always kill your battery so don’t leave it in a hot place, get it out of your pocket whenever you can and keep it as cool as possible during the summer.
Stop using a Task Killer :
Task killers are more harmful then helpful and affect you battery to a great extent. You don’t need task killers if you have uninstalled your applications correctly or are not using them when not required. So my advise will be not to use a task killer as its not required at all.
Underclock / Undervolt your device :
You don’t really need all the CPU power always, you can reduce the clock speed or even create custom profiles using the SetCPU application that will turn it away when your phone is sleeping. You can create profiles that underclock your phone as and when the battery keeps going down.
You can also make use of the Kernel Manager application that will help in reducing the voltage thus giving you a better battery life.
Getting a Secondary Battery :
The last option is to get another battery for your phone. Most high end phones now a days have a pretty much useless battery life so you can just get yourself a second battery and keep it safe in any place till your current battery gets exhausted.
Having an extended battery is another option which is heavier then the standard battery but will guarantee you a better battery life. Lastly, make sure that you are buying original OEM battery as the cheap ones will cause a lot of problems, so make sure that you buy a high quality battery for your phone.
Step 1 :
- Create a folder called Pwnage on your desktop. This folder will be containing two things, the Pwnage tool 4.3.2 and the iPad firmware version 4.3.2
- The Pwnage tool can be downloaded from here.
- The iPad firmware can be downloaded from here.
Note : It is recommended to download the IPSW file with firefox as safari will often auto extract it.
Step 2 :
- To mount the PwnageTool, simply double click it and then drag the icon into the Pwnage folder.
- Now from the folder, double click to launch the PwnageTool application.
- Click on OK if a warning message pops up.
Step 3 :
- From the top menu bar, select Expert Mode.
Step 4 :
- Now select your iPad.
- A Check mark will appear over the image of the phone.
- Click on the blue arrow button at the bottom right to continue.
Step 5 :
- A Browse for IPSW page appears.
- Click on the Browse for IPSW… button.
- Now select your firmware from the Pwnage folder that you created and click on the Open button.
Step 6 :
- A menu with multiple choices appears.
- Click on General followed by the blue arrow button at the bottom right.
- The General settings will allow you to decide the partition size. Here you can choose either Activate the phone which will be a non official activation or Enable baseband update that will allow you to modify the baseband.
- Once done with the settings , click on the blue arrow button to proceed.
- A Cydia settings menu appears that allows you to create custom packages so that you do not have to install them manually later on.
- Click on the Download packages tab.
- Click the Refresh button to display the list of all the available packages.
- Double click the package you wish to download which will then be made available in Select packages tab.
- Under the Select packages tab, just checkmark the ones you want and click the blue arrow button.
- The Custom packages settings menu appears that displays the listed packages for your custom IPSW.
- Just leave these settings uninterrupted and click on the blue arrow button to continue.
Step 7 :
- The Pwnage process is now ready to start.
- Click on the Build button followed by the blue arrow button to start the process.
Step 8 :
- You will be prompted to save your custom .ipsw file, so save it to the Pwnage folder you created on the desktop.
- Your IPSW is being built, so please allow upto 10 minutes for the process to finish.
- Now you will be asked to enter your administrator password, so do that and click on the OK button.
Step 9 :
- You will now be asked to connect your iPad to the computer.
- Once your device gets detected, PwnageTool will guide you through the rest of the procedure for putting your iPad into DFU mode.
- Press and hold the Power and Home buttons for 10 seconds.
- Now release the Power button but continue holding the Home button for another 10 seconds.
- On entering successfully into DFU mode, PwnageTool will prompt you to launch iTunes.
Step 10 :
- On entering iTunes, hold the Alt/Option key and then click on Restore.
Step 11 :
- Now go to the Pwnage folder on your desktop using the dialog window and select the custom IPSW file that was created followed by clicking on the Choose button.
Step 12 :
- iTunes now restores the firmware on your iPad.
- This procedure may consume upto 10 minutes, but once you are done, you`ll be rebooted into a jailbroken iPad OS 4.3.2.
Happy Jailbreaking… !!
Here is another short tutorial for unlocking the iPhone 3GS 4.3.1 with Ultrasn0w 1.2.1 for the iOS 4.3.1.Please keep in mind that this not a new unlock but just a compatibility fix for the iOS 4.3.1 so that those who have been following baseband can unlock their device on the iOS 4.3.1.
Please make a note of the following supported iPhone 3GS basebands :
Please do not upgrade to iOS 4.3.1 without preserving the basbenad. Use the PwnageTool 4.3 or Sn0wbreeze 2.5 to jailbreak the iOS 4.3.1 in untethered mode with the preserve baseband option.
Now here are the unlock instructions :
Step 1 :
Jailbreak the iOS 4.3.1 on the iPhone 3GS with PwnageTool 4.3
Jailbreak the iOS 4.3.1 on the iPhone 3GS with Sn0wbreeze 2.5
Step 2 :
Start Cydia from the springboard.
Step 3 :
Now you should be able to see two options, Packages and Source.
Step 4 :
Navigate to Packages -> Edit -> Add and then enter the following :
repo666.ultrasn0w.com as the repository URL (ultrasn0w has a zero and not an o).
Step 5 :
Now go back to the Sources menu under Cydia and you will see the Ultrasn0w package.
Step 6 :
Click on the Ultrasn0w package and then select Ultrasn0w 1.2.1.
Step 7 :
Tap the Install button and let Ultrasn0w 1.2.1 finish up with the installation procedure.
Step 8 :
Your iPhone 3GS will reboot now and get unlocked on the iOS 4.3.1.
Happy jailbreaking once again… !!!
HTC’s batch of smartphones released at Mobile World Congress are not all that they have in store for 2011, with the Taiwanese company joining the dual core revolution in the form of the EVO 3D and Pyramid smartphones. While quite a bit of information has surfaced about the EVO 3D and its parallax barrier display, HTC are being more tight-lipped about the Pyramid. It is likely it will feature a similar set of specs to the EVO but without the 3D extras, and could possibly make its way to UK stores under the name of the HTC Sensation.
HTC’s first two dual core smartphones have already upped the ante by packing dual core 1.2GHz processors, already offering more speed than existing dual core handsets like the Motorola Atrix and LG Optimus 2X/T-Mobile G2x. Although still running on Android Gingerbread, the Pyramid/Sensation will have a little less memory to play around with with 768MB compared to the EVO’s 1GB.
The Pyramid Sensation is expected to feature a 4.3″ qHD screen with multitouch along with accelerometer and gyro sensor. Also on board is an 8 megapixel camera with 1080p video recording, dual LED flash and quite likely a fairly decent 1.3mp front facing camera too. The Sensation is also expected to come with HTC Sense 3.0 as its interface so we can expect some great features including good social networking support.
Although the Sensation is being touted as the name that this phone will be released under in the UK there is still no indication just yet as to whether it will be released elsewhere as the Pyramid or whether that is just a code name used during development. Either way the Sensation looks set to be one of the best Android phones in 2011 alongside the EVO 3D, and HTC are expected to release full details of the handset at an HTC event on 12th April.
Snw0breeze 2.4 now supports ultraSn0w unlock for the iPhone 4 and 3GS users (for old basebands only). Those of you who have jailbroken your iPhone 4 and 3GS (old basebands only) on the iOS 4.3.1 using Sn0wbreeze 2.4 and are dependent on an unlock can now use ultraSn0w to unlock their device on this latest firmware thus being able to use any desired carrier.
Follow the below mentioned instructions in order to unlock and jailbreak your iPhone 4 and 3GS running on the iOS 4.3.1
Points to be noted before proceeding further with the guide :
- Sn0wbreeze 2.4 supports ultraSn0w unlock for basebands (01.59.00 / 04.26.08 / 05.11.07 / 05.12.01 / 05.13.04 / 06.15.00).
- ultraSnow has no compatibility with the following bands (02.10.04 / 03.10.01 / 04.10.01 / 05.14.02 / 05.15.04).
- iPhone 3GS users will now be able to upgrade to 06.15.00 under the Unlocks section in Expert.
- You may loose your GPS if you upgrade your iPhone 3GS baseband to the 06.15.00 iPad basband.
- If your iPhone relies on an unlock then please do not update to the stock iOS 4.3.1 yet as there is no unlock available for it.
- Sn0wbreeze is a tethered iOS 4.3.1 jailbreak for the iPhone, iPad and the iPod Touch.
How to update iPhone 3GS to 06.15.00 baseband for unlock :
Unlocking your iPhone 3GS using ultraSn0w 1.2 requires it to be jailbroken with 06.15.00 baseband. A complete guide is available here (with PwnageTool) and here (for Redsn0w) to upgrade your iPhone 3GS baseband to 06.15.00 and jailbreak it on the iOS 4.1 or 4.2.1 before you begin following the below mentioned steps.
Step 1 :
- Jailbreak your iPhone 4 / 3GS using Sn0wbreeze 2.4 .
- Detailed step by step instructions are available here in order to jailbreak the iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 4G / 3G and the iPad running the latest iOS 4.3.1 firmware.
Step 2 :
On completion of the jailbreak process, you can now unlock your device on supported basebands using ultraSn0w 1.2 from Cydia :
- Start Cydia on your iPhone.
- Now touch on Manage tab located at the bottom.
- Next, touch on Sources.
- Touch on Edit and then Add.
- On being prompted to enter a url source, enter the following : http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com
- Now touch on Add Source.
- Cydia will automatically update all your sources by performing a series of automated steps.
- Once the installation is over, search for ultraSn0w 1.2 in Cydia and install the application.
- The application works automatically to unlock your iPhone so that you can use it on any carrier of your choice.
Step 3 :
Just perform a restart on your iPhone and that’s it. You now have a fully unlocked iPhone 4 / 3GS.
Rumored to be having an exact look like the iPhone 4, the iPhone 5 has already reached the mass production stage and is expected to have an exact look like the iPhone 4. With many controversial rumors cropping up regarding the phone as it nears its release date, lets have a look at the possible inclusions and rumors related to this upcoming device.
A Better Camera :
iPhone 5 could include an 8 megapixel camera as its predecessor was equipped with a 4 megapixel digital camera.
No Home Button :
The Home button could well disappear with the introduction of touch sensitive controls or getting the buttons transferred on one of the edges.
Screen Size and Enhanced Resolution:
A bigger screen measuring between 4 to 5 inches diagonally supported by a higher resolution.
Rumored to have the look and feel of the iPad 2, the glass could well be replaced with brushed metal on the back side with reduced thickness and rounded edges.
White and 64GB Models :
High possibilities of the device being available in white as well as a 64GB model could also be available.
A Physical Keyboard :
A long lost rumor of having a sliding keyboard for the iPhone one day may come true now.
Record videos in FULL HD.
The camera may be able to record videos in 1080p FULL HD.
Low-Cost Counterpart :
Apple could well be considering development of less efficient models thus making them less expensive to increase its brand awareness and market share.
No Storage :
The iPhone 5 and future models of the device will not be having any internal storage from now on.
3D display :
iPhone 5 could well be handling 3D display with or without glasses.
The device could have a battery with better autonomy, but the length will be the same as that of the iPhone 4.
Already associated with the iPhone 4, possibilities of having an iPhone 5 with a CDMA chip is highly expected.
R-UIM MicroCards Compatibility :
A CDMA model with microSIM UICC R-UIM is highly possible.
2 Sim Card Slots :
The device could be equipped with 2 sim card slots allowing simultaneous operations of both the cards.
NFC Technology :
iPhone could be including the NFC technology to manage your Apple accounts from any MAC.
A5 Processor :
Revealed at the launch of iPad 2, the iPhone 5 could well be next in line for having an A5 processor.
Double the RAM :
iPhone 4`s 512mb RAM could now become 1GB in the iPhone 5.
HDMI Output :
iPhone 5`s dock connector could be used for HDMI video output with 1080p HD video support.
Support for 4G / LTE :
Chances of a 4G / LTE based network standards are very unlikely.
Better Voice Controls :
With the new iOS 5, the voice controls can be enhanced further with possible additions of new ones.
iTunes Cloud :
A cloud version of iTunes is highly anticipated because of Apple`s ever increasing network infrastructure.
The iOS 5 :
Apple may unveil the iOS 5 while presenting their iPhone 5 which will be finally available on iPhone 5`s release date.
iPhone 5 Availability :
Possible rumors suggest that the device may be available to the general public somewhere between June to September.
Firefox 4 has made its debut finally for the Windows, Mac and Linux platforms and this time it has some serious improvements in its features along with tons of new additions. Some of the core functionalities being introduced in this new version are :
A Sleeker Interface :
Tabs have now been moved to the top of the window thus saving in lots of space although you can restore them back on the bottom, that’s up to you plus there is an option to put all the menus into a new “Firefox” button on Windows and Linux located in the upper- right hand corner of the window.
The reload and stop buttons have been moved into the address bar which gives the toolbar a much neater look.
Tabs Management :
Tabbed browsing has been improved with the Tab Panorama organization window that shows a visual layout of current open tabs and then allows you to organize them according to various tasks. You also have an option to open any one group at a time, and Firefox saves the other groups thus making your tab bar clutter free.
Tabs can be pinned like the way we can do in Google Chrome plus you can search for open tabs in the address bar and switch to it immediately thus reducing time.
Synchronize your passwords, bookmarks, history and settings in Firefox with Firefox Sync so that when you perform a fresh install or buy a new PC, all your preferences will be immediately synced there along with an added advantage of syncing all the information to your mobile device if your using Android or Maemo.
Other Notable Improvements :
Apart from these new and improved additions, there are a few other notable features that Firefox has come up with in this new release such as :
- Support for the WebM video format.
- Hardware Acceleration for better graphical performance.
- Sandboxing of plugins to avoid crashes.
- Improved support for HTML 5 and CSS 3.
- Better privacy protection.
Well, the feature list does not get over here. For a complete list of all the new additions, please check Mozilla`s homepage.
Windows users can now jailbreak the iOS 4.3 on their iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad and the iPod Touch with the help of this nice little tool called Sn0wBreeze 2.3b1. As was the case with PwnageTool for Mac, the Sn0wBreeze jailbreak will also be for tethered devices only thus making you boot into a jailbroken state everytime you reboot the device.
This jailbreak tutorial is meant for windows users, if you want it for MAC then please refer to the previous posts on jailbreaking in this blog.
Point to note : No unlock is available for the iOS 4.3 as yet, so if your phone is dependent on a unlock, then please do not update to iOS 4.3.
Step 1 :
- Download and install iTunes 10.2.1 for windows.
- Download Sn0wBreeze 2.3 for windows.
- Download the iOS 4.3 for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
Step 2 :
- Launch Sn0wBreeze followed by clicking on the blue colored arrow button.
Step 3 :
- Browse and select the required .ipsw firmware file for the iOS device.
Step 4 :
- Sn0wBreeze now identifies the selected .ipsw file.
- Once it is done, click the blue colored arrow at the bottom left next.
Step 5 :
- Select “Expert Mode“.
- After doing this, click on “Build IPSW” to start building your custom firmware.
Important : If your device is relying on an Unlock then select “Baseband Preservation Mode” instead of the “Expert Mode”
Step 6 :
- When the custom firmware is created, Sn0wBreeze displays the following message “Done!“
Step 7 :
- Start following the onscreen instructions to enter into DFU mode.
- Hold the Power and the Home buttons for 10 seconds.
- Now release the Power button and continue holding the Home button for another 10 seconds.
- Your device will now enter in DFU mode.
- On following these steps precisely, you get the following message from Sn0wBreeze :
Step 8 :
- Start iTunes now by clicking on the iOS device icon from the sidebar in iTunes.
- Press and hold the left “Shift” button followed by clicking on “Restore” button in iTunes and release this button later.
- iTunes will now ask you to select the location for your custom firmware 4.3 file.
- Select the custom .ipsw file that you had created and click on “Open“.
Step 9 :
- iTunes will now carry out the rest of the procedure for you with a series of automated steps. This may take a while, so please wait while iTunes installs the new firmware 4.3 on your device.
- Once the installation is over, your device will be in a jailbroken state on the iOS 4.3.
Step 10 :
As i mentioned earlier that there is no untethered jailbreak, you will have to boot into a tethered state and for doing this we will be making use of a utility for windows called “iBooty.”
- Launch iBooty and select your iOS device from the drop down menu.
Please Note : iBooty gets extracted to the desktop the moment you run Sn0wBreeze 2.3.
- Next, click on the Start button and follow the onscreen instructions to enter your device into DFU mode.
- Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
- Release the Power button and continue holding the Home button for another 10 seconds.
- Your device will now be in DFU mode.
Step 12 :
- On entering in DFU mode, iBooty will perform its tasks and after that your device will be in a tethered jailbroken state.
Happy Jailbreaking fellows… !!!