Here is another short tutorial for unlocking the iPhone 3GS 4.3.1 with Ultrasn0w 1.2.1 for the iOS 4.3.1.Please keep in mind that this not a new unlock but just a compatibility fix for the iOS 4.3.1 so that those who have been following baseband can unlock their device on the iOS 4.3.1.
Please make a note of the following supported iPhone 3GS basebands :
Please do not upgrade to iOS 4.3.1 without preserving the basbenad. Use the PwnageTool 4.3 or Sn0wbreeze 2.5 to jailbreak the iOS 4.3.1 in untethered mode with the preserve baseband option.
Now here are the unlock instructions :
Step 1 :
Jailbreak the iOS 4.3.1 on the iPhone 3GS with PwnageTool 4.3
Jailbreak the iOS 4.3.1 on the iPhone 3GS with Sn0wbreeze 2.5
Step 2 :
Start Cydia from the springboard.
Step 3 :
Now you should be able to see two options, Packages and Source.
Step 4 :
Navigate to Packages -> Edit -> Add and then enter the following :
repo666.ultrasn0w.com as the repository URL (ultrasn0w has a zero and not an o).
Step 5 :
Now go back to the Sources menu under Cydia and you will see the Ultrasn0w package.
Step 6 :
Click on the Ultrasn0w package and then select Ultrasn0w 1.2.1.
Step 7 :
Tap the Install button and let Ultrasn0w 1.2.1 finish up with the installation procedure.
Step 8 :
Your iPhone 3GS will reboot now and get unlocked on the iOS 4.3.1.
Happy jailbreaking once again… !!!
Snw0breeze 2.4 now supports ultraSn0w unlock for the iPhone 4 and 3GS users (for old basebands only). Those of you who have jailbroken your iPhone 4 and 3GS (old basebands only) on the iOS 4.3.1 using Sn0wbreeze 2.4 and are dependent on an unlock can now use ultraSn0w to unlock their device on this latest firmware thus being able to use any desired carrier.
Follow the below mentioned instructions in order to unlock and jailbreak your iPhone 4 and 3GS running on the iOS 4.3.1
Points to be noted before proceeding further with the guide :
- Sn0wbreeze 2.4 supports ultraSn0w unlock for basebands (01.59.00 / 04.26.08 / 05.11.07 / 05.12.01 / 05.13.04 / 06.15.00).
- ultraSnow has no compatibility with the following bands (02.10.04 / 03.10.01 / 04.10.01 / 05.14.02 / 05.15.04).
- iPhone 3GS users will now be able to upgrade to 06.15.00 under the Unlocks section in Expert.
- You may loose your GPS if you upgrade your iPhone 3GS baseband to the 06.15.00 iPad basband.
- If your iPhone relies on an unlock then please do not update to the stock iOS 4.3.1 yet as there is no unlock available for it.
- Sn0wbreeze is a tethered iOS 4.3.1 jailbreak for the iPhone, iPad and the iPod Touch.
How to update iPhone 3GS to 06.15.00 baseband for unlock :
Unlocking your iPhone 3GS using ultraSn0w 1.2 requires it to be jailbroken with 06.15.00 baseband. A complete guide is available here (with PwnageTool) and here (for Redsn0w) to upgrade your iPhone 3GS baseband to 06.15.00 and jailbreak it on the iOS 4.1 or 4.2.1 before you begin following the below mentioned steps.
Step 1 :
- Jailbreak your iPhone 4 / 3GS using Sn0wbreeze 2.4 .
- Detailed step by step instructions are available here in order to jailbreak the iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 4G / 3G and the iPad running the latest iOS 4.3.1 firmware.
Step 2 :
On completion of the jailbreak process, you can now unlock your device on supported basebands using ultraSn0w 1.2 from Cydia :
- Start Cydia on your iPhone.
- Now touch on Manage tab located at the bottom.
- Next, touch on Sources.
- Touch on Edit and then Add.
- On being prompted to enter a url source, enter the following : http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com
- Now touch on Add Source.
- Cydia will automatically update all your sources by performing a series of automated steps.
- Once the installation is over, search for ultraSn0w 1.2 in Cydia and install the application.
- The application works automatically to unlock your iPhone so that you can use it on any carrier of your choice.
Step 3 :
Just perform a restart on your iPhone and that’s it. You now have a fully unlocked iPhone 4 / 3GS.
Even before its official release date of 11th march, the golden master version of the iOS 4.3 has become available and has been jailbroken already. Although this jailbreak solution is for the tethered version meaning you`ll have to boot into the jailbroken state whenever you reboot everytime.
Here is a step by step tutorial helping you go through the jailbreaking process. Just follow the instructions below in order to jailbreak the iOS 4.3 GM on the iPhone 4.
Things that you will need :
- PwnageTool 4.2
- Access to iOS 4.3 GM firmware.
- iTunes 10.2
- MAC OS X.
- PwnageTool bundle for the iOS 4.3 GM.
- Universal Ramdisk Fixer.
- Tetheredboot utility.
Points to Note :
- Cydia fully works on the iOS 4.3 GM.
- The jailbreak is semi-tethered.
- Your baseband won`t get upgraded during the restore process.
Step 1 :
- Download the PwnageTool bundle for your version of the iOS device over here and extract the .zip file.
- On extracting you will find a .bundle file.
- Move this file to your desktop.
Step 2 :
- Download the PwnageTool 4.2 and copy it to the /Applications directory.
- Next, right-click and click on “Show Package Contents“.
Step 3 :
- Now navigate to Contents/Resources/FirmwareBundles/ and paste the .bundle file that you downloaded earlier in this location.
Step 4 :
- Download the Universal Ramdisk Maker and install it.
Step 5 :
- Download the iOS 4.3 GM firmware and move it to your desktop.
Step 6 :
- Start the PwnageTool by selecting the Expert mode followed by selecting your device.
Step 7 :
- Now select the iOS 4.3 GM firmware for your device by browsing for the location.
Step 8 :
- Click on Build to start creating the custom 4.3 firmware file.
Step 9 :
- The PwnageTool now creates the custom .ipsw file for the iPhone that will be jailbroken.
Step 10 :
- Close the PwnageTool once the custom firmware has been created.
Step 11 :
- Now start iTunes by clicking on you iOS device icon from the sidebar in iTunes.
- Press and hold the left alt (option) button on MAC or the left shift button if you are using the windows based keyboard.
- Click on Restore and then release the alt button.
- iTunes now comes up with a prompt to select the location of the custom firmware 4.3 file.
- Select the required .ipsw file created earlier and click on open.
That’s it, the rest of the procedure will be carried out now by iTunes involving a number of automated steps so please be patient while iTunes installs the new firmware 4.3 on your device. Once this is done, your device will be then jailbroken on the iOS 4.3.
Steps to boot in tethered mode :
As i mentioned earlier in this post that no untethered jailbreak solution has arrived yet for the iOS 4.3, you will have to boot in a tethered jailbroken state.
For this, you will be requiring a file named tetheredboot for the MAC OS X which is available here in .zip format.
Follow these steps for the booting procedure :
Step 1 :
- We will require 2 files from the custom iOS 4.3 GM firmware which are kernelcache.release.n90 and iBSS.n90ap.RELEASE.dfu.
- In order to get these files, first make a copy of the custom iOS 4.3 firmware that you created earlier and change its extension from .ipsw to .zip
- Now begin extracting this .zip file.
- Copy the kernelcache.release.n90 and iBSS.n90ap.RELEASE.dfu files which are located under /Firmware/dfu/
- Now move these files and the tetheredboot application to a new folder named “tetheredboot” on the desktop.
Step 2 :
- Turn off your device and start the terminal from the MAC OS X followed by running the following command :
- Next, enter your administrator password and after that type in :
- Now Press enter.
- You will be seeing some code running in the terminal window as well as it will be asking you to enter into DFU mode.
Please follow these steps to enter into DFU mode :
- Hold the Power and Home buttons for 10 seconds.
- Release the Power button but continue holding the Home button for another 10 seconds.
- Now your device should be in DFU mode.
Wait for the device to boot now. In the meantime, the terminal will be showing the message “Exiting libpoisOn“.
Your iPhone, iPad or iPod will now boot into a jailbroken tethered mode after a couple of minutes.
Happy jailbreaking once again fellows… !!!
The long wait is over. In a few hours from now, Apple is all set to unveil the iPad 2 and unlike its predecessor, this tablet is going to be made available straight away. The media is already at Cupertino as they wait for the second generation tablet to be launched at Apple’s head office. As expected, this one will have a 1.2 GHz processor, high speed connectivity and a slimmer look. Now we will have to wait and see if there are two cameras or only the front camera.
In between all this hype and excitement, there are a few who claim that this second generation would not have any surprises and in fact could turn out to be a dud. However, some sources unknown claim that it is the iPad 3 that is worth waiting for as this surely would take everyone by surprise.
Well for now, let’s concentrate on iPad 2, shall we?
The much awaited iOS 4.3 is finally expected to be released by Apple this week. Let us have a glimpse at the whole lot of new features that have been introduced in this new version as well as the few changes that occurred in the successive beta releases of the operating system.
Below is the list of new features and changes that have been made in the iOS 4.3 :
1. A personal hotspot (For the iPhone Only) :
This feature allows users to share their iPhone 3G connection simultaneously with 5 mobile devices. This feature can be enabled through the settings app. Already available to the Verizon iPhone users , this feature will be made available to the GSM iPhone users as well.
2. Airplay :
You can wirelessly stream your digital media from the iPhone, iPad and the iPod touch to the Apple TV 2G or any other features having airplay enabled. Previously, this feature was made available to many pre-installed applications like Youtube and iPod/Video applications. However iOS 4.3 removes those restrictions by allowing other third party applications, Safari mobile browser and the pre-installed photo application.
3. Side Switch Toggle (For the iPad only.) :
The rotation lock was changed by Apple in the iOS 4.2 to mute switch like the iPhone, however iPad users will now be having an option to select the side switch located at the top right corner as a rotation lock switch or a mute button.
4. Notes to have a new font :
The iOS 4.2 had given users an option to select from only 2 fonts, that is Helvitica and Chalkboard instead of Marker Felt. The iOS 4.3 now replaces the Chalkboard font with the Noteworthy font.
5. Cancel/Delete installing of applications midway :
Users will now be able to cancel downloading applications and delete them midway as the earlier version of the OS only had the option to pause the downloads.
6. Customized alerts for messages (For the iPhone only) :
You can now set the number of times you wish to be alerted for a new sms or mms. The Repeat Alert option has been changed to Play Alert Tone with options for once, twice, 3 times, 5 times and 10 times.
7. A redesigned updates page for the app store :
A new design of the update page for the iPad, iPhone/iPod touch will make installing applications that are already purchased for users a much easier task.
8. A push notification for Ping :
Apple`s social network for music will allow users to setup push notifications thus helping them find out what their favourite artists or friends are up to.
9. Addition of a Wait button :
A new wait button has been added to the Add contact extended keyboard with some of the other buttons reshuffled. Tapping the wait button will add a semicolon to the number.
Here is a screenshot of the Add contact screen in the iOS 4.3
10. Parental controls for Ping :
The iOS 4.3 gives a new parental control for the music based social network of Apple.
11. Location Services Settings :
These settings have been moved to the top level in the settings app instead of moving it under General so as to make it more convenient.
12. Compatibility :
iOS 4.3 will be compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, 4th and 3rd Generation iPod Touch and the iPad. However it will not be available for the iPhone 3G and the iPod Touch 2nd Generation thus making the iOS 4.2.1 the last possible update for these devices.
Lets hope and see if Apple promises us with these features and changes in the final release of the iOS 4.3 along with some few additional feautres as well.
It’s now confirmed, the iPad 2 will be unveiled by Apple on Wednesday, which is the day after tomorrow. We have been discussing a lot about the hardware of the iPad 2, what new add-ons it would have etc. But would we be really happy if the iPad 2 were to come out with the expected add-ons and nothing more? Surely, not one tablet I would want to buy if Apple were to do that. But, there is every possibility that Apple would go for a price cut, at least by 100$ on the second generation Apple tablet.
If you are contemplating why, here’s the logic. When Apple first launched the iPad an year ago, it had no idea to what would be the success rate of the tablet. But, Jobs has that Midas Touch and the iPad was an unusual success with Apple selling almost 10 million tablets in 2010. Apple now plans to sell at least 60 million pieces in the next financial year for which to happen, a price slash is inevitable.
Sources have revealed that Apple would be launching the second generation of its coveted iPad along with the iOS 4.3 on March 2nd. But hang on a second, there is a twist to the tale here as the second generation tablet could after all be only a revived iPad which would be called iPad 1.5 rather than iPad 2. Sources have revealed that the reason for this is issues with production as Apple may not be able to deliver the required add-ons to the tablet yet (the camera to the front might actually be missing in this version).
So, Apple would only be going ahead with a standby version and as John Gruber predicted, we could actually see Apple launching the third generation iPad in September which could actually be the real iPad 2. So for now, let’s just play the guessing game until Wednesday.
The latest buzz is that Apple is planning to launch both the second generation iPad and the next version of iOS on March 2 which co-incidentally is a Wednesday. Knowing Apple’s Wednesday sentiment, this could well be true. Also, there have been reports that Steve Jobs‘ health is declining day by day, so Jobs himself would want to see a quicker launch of his babies on which he has worked personally as well. Also, one can expect iOS 4.3 to come out on the same day as Apple definitely would not want to launch the iPad 2 running on iOS 4.2.1.
The beta version of the iOS 4.3 was released on January 12, a week later the iOS 4.3 beta 2 was also released which was followed by the release of beta 3 on February 4 which dealt with a few bugs in the beta 2 version.
Fingers crossed fellas. Let’s hope that this time the rumor about the launch date is true.
It was only yesterday that Apple started blocking the iBooks app from reading DMR content on jailbroken devices that Pwnage has come with a new iOS 4.2.1 tool that would fix the iBooks issue apart from allowing users to jailbreak all the old versions of the iPhone Verizon iPhone 4, iPad and the iPod Touch devices and the Apple TV 2. This iOS 4.2.1 tool is an untethered tool that helps users unlock their devices as well.
This new tool also comes in the wake of Apple blocking jailbroken devices from opening purchased ebooks. With the help of the Pwnage tool this issue can be fixed. Also fixed can be the issues with Wi-Fi on the Apple TV 2. So, all the people who jailbroke their devices yesterday and were unhappy about Apple’s move, here is your chance to fix it.
If you were just happy that you jailbroke your iPhone using the GreenpoisOn hack iOS 4.2.1 successfully, hang on. There’s a twist in the tale. Apple has apparently introduced a jailbreak detecting API on iOS 4.2.1 which is blocking jailbroken devices from opening ebooks. This inherent API which was supposedly dropped by Apple in iOS 4.0 has found its way back and is blocking the iBooks 1.2.1 app from reading purchased protected DRM content.
The following message is being showed on iOS 4.2.1 devices when trying to open protected DRM content -
“There is a problem with the configuration of your iPhone . Please restore with iTunes and reinstall iBooks.”
The hacker dev community is quite upset with this move from Apple and has criticised saying that it is beginning to attract many to dislike them. Jailbreaking has been deemed legal, so now we have to wait and see if Apple is going to be sued for not allowing purchased content on a jailbroken device.